Sunday, March 29, 2015

Seoul Marathon Part 3: The Recovery Road

Two weeks of recovery after the Seoul Marathon are in the books. The first week was 5 runs for a total of 36.56 miles in 4:30:09. The first two of those runs were in Dongtan, South Korea. On Monday 3/16 I ran 4 miles on the treadmill after work. The plan was to run in the morning but I was sleepy so I snoozed until it was time to get up for work. After a full day of work and then dinner:
Dinner wasn't traditional but it was good.
Grilled pig parts with fried rice with mecju and soju wasn't the best idea to prep for the run but it was my next to last night in Korea of the trip so dinner with the team was sort of a requirement. With a full belly, I ran 4 miles in 31:58 and went to bed early (ish) to be ready to run in the morning.

Tuesday morning I got up for my usual loop through the river park across the street from the Dongtan Shilla Stay. About 3 miles into the loop I crossed into a construction site. On the far side of the site there was a rope across the path. As I approached, I decided to jump over it. The rope was only about a foot off the ground so normally it would be no problem. My left foot made it over the rope but the toes on my right foot didn't quite clear the rope. I got my hands up to break my fall a bit but ended up face down laid out on the bricks. I stayed down for a few moments taking stock of my injuries. They pretty superficial. Skinned knees, a skinned elbow and skinned palms:
Just a smiley face scratch.
After cleaning myself up I went to work for another day that never ended. I got out of work at around midnight and stopped by S Bar to meet Mark for a few beers before bed and then the flight home. It's a long flight home I got on the bus at the hotel at 9 and was on my flight from Seoul to Beijing by 1pm. It was 11pm when I got to Boston. Call it a really long rest day thanks to the International Date Line.

The second week of recovery was 73.67 miles in 8:59:34. This included second place at the Malden Rotary 10km in 37:19.  Then today I went for a slow 19.11 miles. Now time to start tapering down a little bit for Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment