Friday, February 8, 2013

“The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one…” Ernest Hemingway.


I’m quoting Ernest Hemingway in the title of today’s post not so much because of how that quote starts but for how it ends:

“The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one’.…(The man who first said that) was probably a coward.…He knew a great deal about cowards but nothing about the brave. The brave dies perhaps two thousand deaths if he’s intelligent. He simply doesn’t mention them.” –Ernest Hemingway, A Farwell to Arms

I like this quote because it makes me feel less bad about being afraid of Nemo.

As runners we don’t die a thousand deaths but we do sprain a dozen ankles, pull a dozen muscles, get stress fractures in a dozen places all in our minds before we take the first step out on our run. We fear those injuries and we fear frostbite and we are afraid that we’ll hit the wall 10 miles from home and get pneumonia or hypothermia on the walk home.

Nemo means “no one” in Latin but if you believe the projections coming in from the news and the weather channel Nemo is going to be a significant storm this weekend and already in my mind I’ve had all of those calamities listed above.

Going back to Hemingway’s quote I can remind myself that I have these worries about the storm not because I am a coward but because I am intelligent enough to understand the risks of running in it. The coward takes the weekend off because of the storm. The idiot runs exactly as planned without regard for the conditions and the intelligent runner adapts his or her plan around the storm.

I am trying to be an intelligent runner. Trying to train smart is already paying dividends this year such as the 15k PR and what I would have thought of as a monster workout this past Tuesday feeling easy. To date the training smart thing has meant taking my rest days when they are prescribed rather than waiting until I burn out to take a day off and has meant holding back (as much as I can) on my intervals so that I can do the entire workout at an even pace and not running add-ons.

Now, training smart means reassessing my plan for the weekend:

Thursday: Took me a while to get out of work and then was stuck in traffic and didn’t get home until about 8. I decided to make dinner and push off my hills to Friday morning before the storm.
Friday: This was scheduled to be a rest day. Instead of resting I did Thursday’s hills: 10.05 miles in 1:2548.
Saturday: Tempo Run. The plan was to do 2.5 easy to get to the Porter Square City Sports and do the 5 mile loop at ~6:18 pace then go easy for the 2.5 mile run home. I’m switching this to the treadmill because I don’t think the roads will be in any kind of shape for me to run at a 6:18 pace. The new plan is 2 mile warm-up, 5 miles at 6:18, 2 miles cool down. This will shave a mile off of my weekly total but the workout is the 5 mile Tempo; I had only planned on 2.5 up and 2.5 down because I live that far from City Sports.
Sunday: Long Run. I had planned on running 17.5 miles with 12.5 coming from around Fresh Pond at 7:20-7:40 pace. The trail section of the Fresh Pond loop will not be clear by Sunday morning and I cannot bring myself to do another long run on the treadmill. I’m going to cut my pace for this one back to 8min/mile and run 1:12:00 out Pleasant Street and Trapelo Rd then turn around and run home. This should give me ~18 miles total but I’ll be happy to just keep running for 2:24:00 regardless of total distance.

I hope you’re all safe this weekend!

May your training miles be ever hilly and may all your races have free beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment